Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Swords, Pikes, & Nerf Guns.

Hear Ye, Hear Ye.

Can I just say I love that I am able to see real castles and not just read about them in history books?  Well, I just said it, so there.

The past couple of days my English family has treated me to some true English culture.  Whether it is food (fish & chips, crumpets, Yorkshire tea, etc...) or sight seeing, I have thoroughly enjoyed it all.  I can honestly say that I will be back to see my newly added family without any hesitation in the world.  I will be back.

They have taken me to see many different historical places and really taught me a lot about the English culture and history.  Yes, as an American, we learn a little bit about where we [Americans] come from reading history books in class, but there is just some things you aren't able to put words to or even describe proper.  I mean, a picture can't do it justice whatsoever.  Whether it is an old monastery with beautiful grounds or the inside of a castle, sometimes you just have to see it for yourself to fully understand and appreciate it.  Plus, some of these places have fountains that are older than America itself.  Now that is insane.

With that said, I will try to do my best in showing and describing to you all the cool places I have been able to visit the past two days.

Yesterday I was able to go to Fountains Abbey which was absolutely gorgeous.  Not only did we have a sunny day but to top it off, we brought our own medieval weapons.  Yes, you heard right.  We brought swords, pikes, and nerf guns with us so we can have a proper battle in front of a real castle.  Yeah, I know you're jealous.  Here are some of the pictures.






So there you have it.  Some captures from Fountains Abbey.  I wish I could really go into depth of what we did all day, but then I would be writing more of a novel than I already am so I think I will spare you.

Now onto today.  We went to Alnwick Castle today.  For those of you who are Harry Potter fans, this is the castle where the students learn how to ride a broom in the first film.  Yes, I did re-enact the broom lesson scene.  But the castle holds much more history than a Hollywood film done in 2000.  It is home to the Percy family and man, they have quite the humble abode.  There is a section where you are able to walk inside the house itself and this is where words can't describe the grandeur that the house holds.  And we were only in one section of the house/castle/palace/insert your own word here...  There are other sections there that are used for educational purposes to teach the history of the castle and all that happened there.  Such a fascinating place, lemme tell ya.

While roaming the castle, there are various activities that you can participate in.  For example, there is a haunted house in the cellars.  Yeah... I may have skipped out on that while others had the nerves of steal and went through.  You can also learn how to make soap, ride a broom, and how to shoot an arrow.  There are more things that I did and learned but I think I will just let the photos speak for themselves.








That isn't all that we did today.  We drove up to the Holy Island which is an island with a castle on it that is only accessible when the tide is out.  When they tide is in, the road suddenly disappears under water.  Because we were going farther north to see different cities and things, we just decided to drive to Scotland.  Yeah, no big deal.

We got ice cream there and saw a Scottish castle.  Such a lovely place as well.  Here are a couple pictures from our drive up there.


So, all in all, the past two days have been awesome seeing places while hanging out with fun people.  I am so thankful to be here and to be welcomed the way I have.  Seriously, the best experience I could have ever imagined, and then some. 

Only 4 more days until Spain which is absolutely crazy to think about.  I want to stay here longer but I am also excited for the next adventure ahead.  I would just like to never go to school ever again but to just travel and meet people as a living.  Anyone hiring a professional traveler?  I have a resume and everything. 

Until next time, please enjoy this song that my wonderful mother sent to me.  I love this song and thought hey, if this brought me encouragement, it could bring you encouragement.  Please enjoy.



Sincerely,
Ang

2 comments:

  1. Professional TravellerSeptember 17, 2012 at 4:41 AM

    Love the pictures so jealous wish I was there and yes we are looking for a professional traveller, email yr resume so I can look over it :) love from yr twin <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a bunch for sharing this with all people you actually recognize what you are talking about! Bookmarked. Kindly also discuss with my website.
    Military toy guns

    ReplyDelete