Monday, September 17, 2012

Goodbye England.

As you all well know, I have a tendency to have interesting airport stories and I have not been able to fail you yet. So here it goes.

Adi and I were leaving her hometown up north around 7:30pm which means we would arrive at her house roughly 10:40pm. But we have a little problem with that time frame. We needed to get to a specific station by 11:35pm because that was the last tube that was going to Heathrow until 5:30am the next mornin which is when I needed to be checked in to my flight for Spain. You can probably see the complications and the speediness this required.

So, Adi and I are walking from the tube station to her house (which is a million blocks away I might add) and Adi is practically running. So, me being me, was quite frustrated at the already fast pace that I have been putting up with and now it got faster.

All this to say, I wasn't a happy camper. And you know when you get in those moods where you just begin to get frustrated at everything under the moon and back? I know you know the feeling. You know it all too well. So Adi got to listen to me rant about my sweaty self, my gross sweaty pasted down hair, my clothes choice for the day, my hurting back, how tired I was, and the ultimate, how much luggage I had to carry. I packed too many pairs of shoes.

She had to listen to it all and I didn't feel like listening. Bad on me, I know. But then, the most remarkable event happened in all of London.

A man dressed in all leather, with steel studs on his shoes, and huge wicked mustache (and sideburns) came up to me, didn't look at me or say anything, and grabbed my bag to the top of the stairs. He don't say anything when I showed my appreciation and never met my gaze. Right as he walked off to catch the next tube, I saw him hold long stemmed flowers for his special lass.

I just stood there giggling because I was so angry about my dumb luggage and yet someone had the heart to voluntarily carry it without needing any recognition. It made my day really. Anyone else want to volunteer as tribute?

But that isn't all. We get to Heathrow and there is an American guy trying to find his way and it ends up he doesn't leave until 2pm the next day. You must realize it is only 11:40pm the night before. So, we have him to talk to all night. Let's call him Canadian Bacon. Then we also got Mr. Battery Man. He was a guy from Singapore going to Malaysia about to start his doctorate program. He told us he got his master's degree in batteries. Hence the name. So, Adi decides she is going to go to sleep so the three of us pals it to talk. Lovely. It was full of interesting conversations but sometimes the best airport stories are full of interesting people. I am thankful we met the guys because it made time fly. So nice.

Also, I got the window seat ino Madrid when I was supposed to get the middle seat.

I am not one for goodbyes and it was extra hard to say goodbye to such a wonderful family. I couldn't have asked or a better, or more hospitable English family. Here are some photos from my last days in England.






No comments:

Post a Comment