Friday, September 21, 2012

21st Night in September.

Hello from Spain!

Before we even begin, I must have you listen to the song because it is the 21st of September and it is an absolute must.  Plus, it is a little taste of my home.  Well, more like my family car when we blast it and sing at the top of our lungs all while playing imaginary instruments.  At any rate, enjoy.


So onto the update for all y'all. 

We left Madrid on Wednesday, suitcases and all (oh my word....), and headed to Toledo.  I absolutely fell in love with this town.  It is in the middle of rolling hills and a winding river.  All the architecture made it seem like we were in a movie or something.  All the buildings were old, antique-like, and it is exactly how I pictured Spain.  The unique thing about Toledo is for hundreds of years, Jews, Christians, and Muslims all lived peacefully in the city.  It is very much evident in how the buildings were built and the influences that are found within the walls, floors, and even ceilings of this city.  There are lots of history in that town and I wish we had more than just a day there to learn more about it.  We also were able to see one of the most famous El Greco paintings in a small church in the town.  No big deal.

After leaving Toledo, we traveled for 7 hours and finally arrived in Sevilla!!!!!  The town is absolutely beautiful and I can't wait until I am able to really explore it.  We met up with our host family and my roommate and I live with a single mother and her son and nephew.  They are so sweet and patient with me.  I am really glad that they are working with me on the whole communication thing.

I am having a really hard time with the Spanish but I know that once I begin classes and start to learn more, I will be able to practice more and ultimately be able to communicate more.  It will take time and I know that it won't be this difficult for long.  But right now, I am definitely struggling.

School starts up Monday but until then, we will explore more of Sevilla and attend the last bull fight of the season.  How cool is that?

The culture is very interesting but I am loving it.  They explained to us that we don't bring people over because most of the time, the home is a place for just the family to be.  If people wanted to hang out with someone, they would be outside hanging out with them, but never in the house.  So, there are people everywhere all the time.  It is awesome.

People also don't go back home until 11pm or 12am.  I have yet to experience the "late night" but at 9:30pm there are kids playing soccer on the concrete square that is in the middle of all the apartments.  So, just goes to show how late everyone stays up.

I can't wait to fully embrace siestas.  I sure do love naps.

The food isn't bad yet.  Although, for an appetizer, we were given anchovies.  Yeah.... 

For now, enjoy these photographs.  I don't have many, but you can still have a small taste of Sevilla.

Love,
Ang

P.S.  Since I have been walking miles and miles all week (my apartment is 30-40 minutes away from the school, one way I might add), I have really chaffed legs.  I know, TMI, but I thought hey.  Why not share with the people the real life of study abroad.

Cathedral in Toledo.

Toledo.

Cathedral in Sevilla.

Cathedral in Sevilla.

Cathedral in Sevilla.


Plaza de Torros en Sevilla!

My morning walks to class.


No comments:

Post a Comment