Saturday, November 16, 2013

The Girl Who Loves Today Without Thinking About Tomorrow.

Life after graduation is interesting.  I would say it is almost, if not, the hardest transition I have ever gone through.  But I can also say it is one of the most exciting times in my life as well.

As graduation approached and well after, many thoughts began to consume my mind; thoughts that quickly turned into questions.  Questions like, what should I be "when I grow up"?  Where should I live?  How will I afford being an adult?  Where do I find friends?  And the inevitable, if/when will I get married?

These are all questions that a young adult asks and tries to figure out as soon as possible.  One might say these questions become the black rainy cloud that lingers overhead until answered.  But I have recently come to a realization that I felt the need to share with the rest of the social media world.  So, here you go.

Why do we become so fixated on the idea that "once I get (you fill in the blank), I will be happy"?  Once I get that degree, I will be able to get that job.  Once I get married, I will be content in my life.  Once I have my dream job, all will be right in the world.  The list goes on.  Don't tell me you haven't thought this way, we all have.  There is nothing wrong with that.  But what I have come to realize is if we continue this habit, we continue to miss what is going on today.  And today might be the best day of your life.

We are so focused on "getting to that next step", we forget to enjoy the season we are in, whether good or bad.  Our natural instinct is to strive for happiness and peace.  We don't do well under stress, pain, or chaos.  But if all we do is strive for the good and easy, we don't allow the Lord to shine through the hard.  Think about it, when we share our "prayer requests", it usually revolves around us asking God to bring us through this trial or to take away the hurt or pain we may be experiencing.  I rarely hear us praising for our trials and tribulations; or praying for the Lord to shine through our struggles and hardships.

I think we may have it backwards.  In Ecclesiastes 3 it talks all about the different seasons we are going to go through, so obviously the Lord knows they exist.  It really is no shocker.  So, why not take on the day, whether good or bad, and love it?  Why not accept that we will have good and bad days and decide to rejoice either way? 

Once we begin to enjoy today, we have to release thinking about tomorrow.  Obviously we should have goals and dreams but not allow them to steal away from enjoying where we currently are.  Yes, we all want a good paying job that we all love.  Yes, we want to get married and have our own family.  These are not bad things to desire, but they can dominate our thoughts and can restrict the Lord to work and move in your life.

Being a lady who has graduated from college, I get asked about my relationship status quite a bit, which can cause one to question whether it is okay being single or not; as if having a man defines who you are as a woman & woman of God.  I also get asked what my 5 year plan is.  If I knew, I would tell you, trust me.  I wish I knew where my financial stability was coming from.  I get asked all these "future" oriented questions, but is it bad to not enjoy where I am right now?

Should I be thinking once I get these "things" worked out, my life will be perfect?

I believe if we enjoy today without thinking about tomorrow, we allow the Lord to have complete and full reign in directing us to become the women and men of God that He is calling all of us to be.  Today we need to rejoice where we are, not where we think we want to be.  The Lord may totally change the trajectory of your life tomorrow. 

Enjoy being single.  Enjoy not having enough money in the bank.  Enjoy having good and bad days at work.  Enjoy the unknown.  Enjoy being obedient even when it is hard.  Allow the Lord to shine and bless you through every season of your life.  You won't regret it, I pinky promise.

I choose to be a girl who loves today without thinking about tomorrow.  Will you join me?



“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes?  Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?  Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life ?  “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin.  Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these.  If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith?  So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them.  But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.  Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself.  Each day has enough trouble of its own."  
-Matthew 6:25-34 (NIV)

1 comment:

  1. Gosh girl, you are so darn cute! Love this post!!

    ReplyDelete