Saturday, November 23, 2013

5 Reasons Why I Love Being Adopted.

As some of you may or may not know, I was adopted from Bucharest, Romania when I was 6 months old.  I wish I could sit down with each of you to share my story, but luckily, my dad (co-founder of International Family Services) wrote it out for you so you can read it while sitting on your couch in your favorite sweats and drinking some of your favorite tea.  You know that sounds awesome.

Please take the time to read this story because in reality, this is not just my story.  There are stories like mine all around the world of children who were nameless, faceless, and Fatherless and found a new home.  Fortunately for me, I am able to use my story to share with people like you the beauty of adoption and the immense need of homes for orphans all around the world.

Click the link below to read how an orphan girl was blessed with the most amazing gift: a family.
A Stormy Night in Bucharest

I thought it was only fitting during National Adoption Month and the season of Thanksgiving to list a few reasons why I love being adopted.  It is such a big part of my life and I hope yours as well.  So here it goes.

1.  I love that my family is what my mom calls, "A bag of skittles."  My parents have ten children, six of whom are adopted from various countries around the globe.  We all look different and we all love each other the same.  I wouldn't want to have it any other way.

2. I love that I am not treated differently because I am not blood related to my family members.  Growing up, my parents never let us use the excuse that they were not our parents or he/she was not my sibling.  Just because we do not share the same DNA, does not mean I am any less of a child in my home.  If we ever did try to use that card, we lost the argument immediately.  And we were most definitely grounded.

3.  I love being a Mardock.  My family rocks, quirks and all!  I couldn't have asked for a better family to be in.  If you don't know a Mardock, you need to.  We are awesome.

4.  I love that I am able to witness thousands of orphans all around the world find loving homes.  My parents co-founded International Family Services when I was adopted over two decades ago.  They have placed (and continue to place) over 4,000 children in homes who would have been on the streets otherwise.  My parents (and IFS staff) are real life heroes; aka rock stars.

5.  I love that you were also adopted.  No, you did not read that wrong.  Yes, I have been adopted into the Mardock family, but what is even more amazing is we have all been adopted into God's family, if we choose to be.  Jesus came down to this earth and died for each and everyone one of us so that we could be adopted into God's family.  All we have to do is accept God's invitation to join His family.  Simply put, we are the children of God.

Let's all embrace that we are adopted and celebrate together!  It is nothing to ever be ashamed or embarrassed of; quite the opposite actually.  It is something we should claim boldly and be excited to share with anyone and everyone.  Why do you love being adopted?  Because let's face it, it rocks.

If you would like more information on how you can adopt a child, please visit the website below:
International Family Services

My two younger sisters and me.





No comments:

Post a Comment