Sunday, September 14, 2014

My Story. Your Story. Our Story.



It has been a while since my last post, but in all honesty I think it's because I have been learning so much and I didn't really know how to put what I was learning into words.  I thought maybe it is time I try to share what has been on my heart for the past few months.

Recently I have been struggling with the concept of what it means for us to be men and women of God who are all so different, yet we are supposed to live in community with one another.  Why is it that we can begin to feel alone even if we are sitting in the church pews?  It all boils down to relationships.

We all have stories; our stories have shaped us and molded us into who we are today.  Some may struggle with their "story" and feel embarrassed or ashamed, but I find so much encouragement in the past because it can be used in a mighty way in the future.  We have all gone through hardships and we feel like there is no one on this planet that will ever understand what it feels like.  No one is going to understand how it all came to pass.  People are going to judge me or hold it against me.  God could never forgive me, how could other people?

I think we need to change how we look at our pasts and refocus on how we can allow the Lord to use our pasts to be used for something far greater than we can ever imagine in the future.  I believe that the Lord does not desire for us to hurt or feel "lost", but if we allow Him to work in us, He can show the light in what we see as our darkest times.  Don't allow the past to stay in the dark, because the dark can creep up when you least expect it.

But that is what is so amazing about grace.  The Lord takes our past and wipes it clean if we just give it all to Him.  He doesn't keep any records or remembers the countless times we mess up.  He makes us new every day if allow Him to work in and through us in this everyday adventure.

Why do we allow the enemy to use our past to haunt our present and future?  Why not take our story and share with others to glorify Him?  Sometimes all it takes is a conversation that can change the trajectory of someone's life.  Becoming vulnerable and honest with others about what we have gone through may be what someone needs to hear.  Share with others how the Lord is taking your past and shining through to your future.

We were created to be in relationship with one another.  God never intended us to live life alone or isolated, and I honestly believe that is where the enemy can do the most damage: when we have become isolated from the family of God. 

Text someone today and tell them hi.  Ask them how they are doing.  Call them and say you want to finally grab that coffee you've always been talking about.  Do something.  Be proactive in sharing your story.  Be courageous.  Be bold.  Be love.  Be in relationship with others and build the community we all want and need.

Who knows, your story may be the introduction of Christ to someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment